An Interdisciplinary Approach
One Graduate Programme
Understanding how and why we age are fundamental biological questions with great medical and societal impact. To address these questions, we train a new generation of biomedical scientists to unravel the basic molecular mechanisms underlying ageing and age-related diseases.
Our interdisciplinary approach integrates the fields of genetics, cell biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, systems biology and translational medicine. The CGA provides a strong research environment and a cutting-edge training programme to meet this challenge.
We offer young scientists of exceptional talent a structured PhD training in biomedical disciplines within an international environment. Principal investigators are internationally recognized scientists carrying out ground-breaking research, covering a broad range of expertise. New facilities with state-of-the-art technologies provide excellent infrastructure for training and research. The doctoral programme is comprised of seminars and courses in ageing research, writing and presentation training as well as practical career development opportunities. The CGA strives to foster scientific independence in our students by immersing them in high quality research, and encouraging critical thinking skills, lively exchange with other scientists and active participation. Our doctoral candidates receive a work contract for the duration of the programme. All communication and courses are conducted in English.
- Three-year funded position including social benefits and annual travel grant
- Internationally renowned faculty and state-of-the-art technologies
- Outstanding research environment at the most prestigious ageing research cluster in Europe
- PhD projects that can be carried out in up to 55 participating research groups
- Individual career-development mentoring, scientific and professional skills courses, lecture series, journal club, scientific retreats
- Systematic guidance by an individual thesis advisory committee
- Intensive support and guidance for international students in all administrative matters
- Programme completely conducted in English in the vibrant city of Cologne, Germany